What are the challenges of being the first in your family to go to college? How can you celebrate being the first? Who can you turn to for support in high school and in college? Kyle connects with Kenzie (Coordinator of Multicultural Outreach & Community Partnerships, Undergraduate Office of Admissions at UMNTC), Jeremiah (Program Manager at GEAR UP), and Hana (Facilitator at Project Success) on what it means to be the first to attend college. music by scottholmesmusic.com
Resources for this Episode
- Explore the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities website.
- Watch the Project Success UMNTC admissions chat.
- View the UMNTC virtual tour options.
- Explore the UMNTC virtual tours.
- Learn more about GEAR UP.
- Listen to the MPR podcast episode, “When the First in A Family goes to College”.
- Explore the College Greenlight scholarship website.
- Explore the I’m First! website that includes stories, links, and resources.
Next Steps for this Episode
In this video clip, Sam, Project Success Facilitator, walks you through common college terms and phrases.
Below, check out our powerpoint College Vocab Inventory! When identifying as a First-Generation student, there can be a lot of new words and concepts to navigate when thinking about education after High School. Flip through this guide that has some of the most common and important terms to assist you and make you feel confident in your future decisions.