In part 1 we discussed different pathways after high school and being undecided. In part 2, we continue our journey on options after high school and connect with 2 different Gap year programs and a Career opportunity with an environmental field focus to discuss: If you have an idea of what you want to do, which path will help you reach your goals? Join Kyle as he connects with Adrienne Amell (Manager of Recruiting at Conservation Corps Minnesota & Iowa), Matt Young (Marketing Representative at NOLS), Alison Nyenhuis (Education Manager at Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness), and Franci (12th grade student at Patrick Henry) as they talk through different pathway options through the lens of outdoor and environmental career fields.
Resources for this Episode
- Explore gap year programs with Conservation Corps Minnesota & Iowa.
- View the Conservation Corps IDEC (Increasing Diversity in Environmental Careers) Fellowship, Mentorship and Internship program
- Explore gap year programs with NOLS.
- Learn more about the Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness.
- View the Minneapolis Park and Recs job postings.
- View the Loppet Foundation job postings.
- View the Wilderness Inquiry Diversity in the Outdoors resources, articles, and book list.
- Read the Gap Year Association Planning Guide and check out the rest of their website for information on accredited Gap Year Programs.
- Look into gap year programs at Americorps, their mission is to improve lives, strengthen communities, and foster civic engagement through service and volunteering. Americorps includes College Possible, Conservation Corp, FEMA, Habitate for Humanity, Minnesota Alliance Youth, Minnesota Math Corps, Minnesota Reading Corps, and VISTA.
Next Steps for this Episode
In this video clip, Micah, Project Success Facilitator, explores Gap year types and what style could be the best fit for you.