Is a career or job in healthcare right for me? What are the steps I can take, to get there? What are skills a nurse uses and what are the options for specialized careers in the nursing field?
Join Savannah and co-host PS Facilitator Alana as they connect with Katie Hodgden (Assistant Director, Career Development Center at Minnesota State University, Mankato) and Dr. Michelle Palmborg (Assistant Professor of Nursing and Registered Oncology Nurse) to talk through how you can begin thinking about and planning for a possible future in healthcare, and what could that specifically look like in a pathway like nursing. Join us as we break down what types of nurses there are, what is the schooling required, and what to do if you change your mind.
Resources for this Episode
- Check out where Katie works at the College of Allied Health and Nursing at Minnesota State University-Mankato
- LearIs a career or job in healthcare right for me? What are the steps I can take, to get there? What are skills a nurse uses and what are the options for specialized careers in the nursing field?n more about where Dr. Michelle teaches at Metropolitan State University in their nursing program
- Curious about the transcultural nursing program at Augsburg University that Dr. Michelle mentioned? Learn more here!
- Where can you begin planning what career pathway you are interested in? Check out Katie’s recommendation with Careerwise by Minnesota State
- Explore the University of Minnesota’s School of Nursing to see what education pathways there are for you!
- Try listening to the podcast Health Careers, a podcast that explores different careers in the healthcare field.
- Start exploring different nursing specialties with Nurse.org’s complete list of nursing careers and specialties and Indeed’s list of 62 Types of Nurses.
- Expand your understanding of what health means to you as a profession with this list of different health careers put together by the Mayo Clinic!
- Learn more about growing healthcare jobs and opportunities in the Occupational Outlook Handbook by the US Bureau of Labor Statistics