What resources are there for students who are undocumented? What is the Dream Act? How do you pick a college that is the best fit for you? Join Kyle as he connects with Neeyra Pena Estrada (Latino Admissions Representative at North Hennepin Community College), Chris Castellano (School Counselor at Wellstone) and Laura Garcia (Director of Schools & Curriculum at Project Success) who will discuss the challenges of being a student who is undocumented and where you can find resources and support in your school, college, and community.
Resources for this Episode
- Explore North Hennepin Community College (NHCC) website
- Watch the Project Success NHCC admissions chat.
- View the MN Office of higher education Resources for Undocumented Students.
- Check out the MN Dream Act website.
- Check out TheDream.US’ resources library with links, scholarships, and guides.
- Read articles and view resources from My Undocumented Life.
- Explore the MALDEF (Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund) scholarship resource page. This webpage has information for many scholarships available to Latino students, many of which don’t have a legal status requirement.
- Read the College Guide for Undocumented Students from Best Colleges.
- Connect with NavigateMN, The largest network of undocumented immigrant young adults in Minnesota.
- Check out Quest Bridge, Golden Door Scholars, and the Hispanic Scholarship Fund, open to all students, regardless of citizenship, currently attending high school in the United States.
- The Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota enhances opportunities for immigrants and refugees through legal representation for low-income individuals and through education advocacy with diverse communities.
- Connect with your school’s CCC office for support and resources.
- Check the websites of college’s you are exploring for a listing of student support organizations, centers, and programs they may have.
Next Steps for this Episode
Click the button below to be directed to the myths and resoures for both students and advocates shared in the episode.