The Great Leap
Students and families can choose from the following times:
- Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 7:00pm
- Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 1:00pm
The Guthrie Theater
818 S 2nd St
Minneapolis, MN 55415
About the Show
When an American basketball team travels to Beijing for an exhibition game in 1989, the drama goes deeper than the strain between countries. For two men with a past and one teen with a future, the game is a chance to claim personal victories on and off the court. Tensions rise right up to the final buzzer as a pivotal moment in history collides with the action in the arena. Driven by rapid-fire dialogue, this perceptive new play explores the cultural and political risks of raising your voice and standing your ground.
Contains mature themes, extreme sexually and racially charged language and implications of violence. Children should be 14 years of age or older to attend this performance. Childcare will be provided for those under the age of 14. Please let us know if you need childcare when you make your reservation.
If you do not have access to a ride, call Project SUCCESS and we can provide transportation for you. Please let us know if you need a ride when you make your reservation. We will need at least 2 days’ notice to set up transportation.
or call Project SUCCESS at (612) 874-7710
Thank you to Project SUCCESS theater partner, Guthrie Theater, for providing tickets to students at no cost.
- Courage is, for some characters in this play, a natural trait. For others, it is something they inch towards over the course of time. What is something you've achieved that required a courageous choice?
- Sports may not be inherently political, but in this play the political consequences are great. How do we see the relationship between sports and politics today?
- In this play, sometimes the thing that someone needs to say most is also the hardest thing to say. What advice would you offer these characters, if asked?