Is God Is
Students and families can choose from the following times:
- Friday, September 28, 2018 at 7:30pm
- Saturday, September 29, 2018 at 7:30pm
Mixed Blood Theatre
1501 South 4th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55454
About the Show
Winner of the 2018 Obie Award for playwright, director, and lead actors, IS GOD IS is an epic woman’s revenge play that takes its cues from the Spaghetti Western, hip hop, Afropunk, the ancient, modern, and the tragic. African American twin sisters journey from the Dirty South to California in blood-soaked travels. It’s both a satire and an earnest exploration of what it means to claim justice and survive violence. Funny, triumphant, and surprising, Is God Is asks us to consider the roots, futility, and consequences of cyclical violence.
Contains mature themes, including physical violence. Children should be 14 years of age or older to attend this performance.
If you do not have access to a ride, call Project SUCCESS and we can provide transportation for you. Please let us know if you need a ride when you make your reservation. We will need at least 2 days’ notice to set up transportation.
or call Project SUCCESS at (612) 874-7710
Invited students can pick up tickets at the Project SUCCESS table in the lobby of the theater on the dates of the performances. Please arrive 20 minutes before the show to pick up your tickets. Each student/family may receive up to 4 FREE tickets.
Thank you to Project SUCCESS theater partner, Mixed Blood Theatre, for providing tickets to students at no cost.
- What does justice look like? Do you consider it sufficient as is? If not, what would you change about it?
- This plays moves from the Deep South to a desert in California. What impact does landscape have on a story? How might this story feel different in each locale? What memories do different places evoke for you?
- This play has been partially influenced by the work of both rapper Kendrick Lamar and author Toni Morrison. Who are artists that influence you?