What considerations should I think of when making my post-secondary plans as a parent? What questions should I ask when touring a college or looking into housing? What support services and resources are there?
Join Savannah and co-host PS Facilitator April as they connect with Dr. Padmini Udupa (Principal of Longfellow High School), Brooke Eichele (College Advancement Teacher at Longfellow High School), Michelle Montoya (alum of Longfellow High School), and Susan Warfield (Program Director of the Student Parent HELP Center at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities) to talk through how pregnant, expecting, and current parents can plan for and attend college, what questions to ask, and what supports to look for as you take this next step!
Resources for this Episode
- Explore where Susan works at the University of Minnesota’s Student Parent Help Center
- Learn more about Longfellow Alternative High School where Dr. Udupa and Brooke work!
- View the Raise the Barr Student Parent Transferring into 4-Year Colleges webinar series and check out the scholarships they offer!
- Listen to Ascend’s Student Parent Podcast 1 in 5 about the experiences of students who are parents on college campuses.
- Questions about your rights as a student parent? Check out this FAQ to learn more about what you are entitled to
- Explore the Jeremiah Program which supports mothers to get funding and support for their dreams!
- Check out the Beat the Odds Scholarship if you are a high school Minnesota student who has overcome a lot of adversity
- Learn more about the Postsecondary Child Care Grant for Minnesota parents in need of funding for postsecondary education
- Need help paying for childcare while going to school? Check out the University of Minnesota’s undergraduate child care assistance grants here!
- Look into all the grants available to you to help pay for school at places like MCTC!
- Need funding for child care so you can purse employment or education? Check out the Child Care Assistance Program through the MN Department of Human Services
- Healthcare is an important right! Learn more about how to get health benefits for yourself and your family with MNsure
- Learn more about healthcare resources like Family Home Visiting through Hennepin Healthcare to support you and your family!